This post is a bit out of date. Check out the new easier method here.
Here are some basic instructions for getting a Minecraft modding environment setup:
- Download PC.zip or Mac.zip
- Extract the contents
- Extract Eclipse
- Run Java JDK installation
- Extract Forge
- Run forge/install.cmd (or install.sh for Mac). This will take a few minutes to complete.
- Extract BaseMod. Copy the “com” and “assets” folders to our mod to forge/mcp/src/minecraft. (It’s okay to overwrite any existing files)
- Open your Eclipse folder and double click eclipse.exe (windows) or eclipse (mac).
- Click File -> Import…
- Search for Existing and double click “Existing Projects into Workspace”. Click Next.
- Click “Browse” and go to your forge/mcp/eclipse/ folder. Click Finish.
- Eclipse will import the project. Once finished you can click the green play icon which says “Run”. This will run Minecraft from the source that forge decompiled with our mod in there.
- If you want to look at our BaseMod source code expand the “Minecraft” -> “src” -> “com.fredxcoders.dojo.mod” folders. BaseMod.java has our custom recipe to turn dirt into an instance of our custom block.
Updating to our latest mod code:
- Go to our GitHub page here and click the “Download Zip” button in the bottom right.
- Extract the contents of the zip and copy the “com” and “assets” folders to our mod to forge/mcp/src/minecraft. (It’s okay to overwrite any existing files).
- If eclipse is open click the top “Minecraft” folder and hit F5. If it’s not, open eclipse.
- Eclipse will now have our latest source code in it.